The North East’s premier network for Community Businesses, Social Enterprises and Social Leaders.
Funded by Power to Change and Hosted by Social Enterprise Acumen CIC.
Social Enterprise Acumen CIC (SEA) is pleased to announce the launch of the North East Community Business Club.
Times of austerity can also be times of opportunity, so those of us working for social change in our North East Communities need the chance to come together to collaborate, share experiences and knowledge, support each other and explore enterprising ways to tackle the issues we face. The North East Community Business Club has been established to provide the opportunity for this to happen.
Social Enterprise Acumen is calling for Expressions of interest from Community Businesses from across the following areas to become ‘Ambassador’ Organisations:
2) North Tyneside/Newcastle
3) Gateshead/South Tyneside
6) Middlesbrough Cleveland
(Please note we are specifically looking for Community Businesses to be Ambassadors – please see the detailed criteria at http://www.thepowertochange.org.uk/what-is-community-business/)
Community Businesses have 4 key criteria.
Locally rooted: They are rooted in a particular geographical place and respond to its needs. For example, that could be high levels of urban deprivation or rural isolation.
Trading for the benefit of the local community: They are businesses. Their income comes from things like renting out space in their buildings, trading as cafes, selling produce they grow or generating energy.
Accountable to the local community: They are accountable to local people, for example through a community shares offer that creates members who have a voice in the business’s direction.
Broad community impact: They benefit and impact their local community as a whole. They often morph into the hub of a neighbourhood, where all types of local groups gather, for example to access broadband or get training in vital life skills.
We are looking for the following commitment from Ambassador Organisations:
• To host 1 local Community Business Club meeting per month in their community venue (for 18 months)
• To provide the administrative support to their local Community Business Club meetings, including minutes and actions that will be provided to SEA for distribution to the wider network
• To attend monthly full network meetings (every month for 18 months) to feed back from local meetings and gain information from the wider network to feed back to their local members
• To actively promote the North East Community Business Club to organisations in its area
SEA understands that this is a significant commitment from Ambassadors Organisations and can provide remuneration of up to £3,000 per organisation to cover costs associated with the above (for a period of 18 months).
How to become an Ambassador Organisation
If your organisation would like to become an Ambassador Organisation please send us an Expression of Interest of no more than 2 sides of A4 outlining the following:
• Why your organisation is best placed to be an ambassador organisation
• The range of organisations (geographically) that would benefit from local meetings being held at your premises
• The size of your venue – specifically how many people can you host at local meetings
• The experience and knowledge your organisation would provide as an ambassador
• Confirmation of the commitment to attend meetings (contracted for 18 months)
• An outline of how you would promote the network to local and wider members and potential members
• The added value that your organisation can bring to the network
• Your proposed costs for being an Ambassador (up to 3k)
If you would like to have an informal discussion about this role, please contact Emma Frew on 0191 3869785. The closing date for Expressions of Interest is 27th January 2017 at noon.
(The North East Community Business Club will be launched in February 2017. Membership is free. If you are interested in becoming a member please sign up to our mailing list and we will contact you with more details and information on the launch event. Cbc@socialenterpriseacumen.co.uk)