- 20/12/2013 Wishing all our customers, clients, partners and friends a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year! Let’s hope 2014 sees Social Enterprises and the Third Sector continue to support communities and play a major part in the economic growth of the North East and the rest of the UK.
- 04/12/2013 Vacancy: Business Development Manager.
One of our Consortium partners, West Middlesbrough Neighbourhood Trust, is looking to fill this vacancy.
Reporting to the Chief Executive, the Business Manager will play a significant part in establishing WMNT as a thriving delivery company ensuring the long term viability of the business. The Business Manager will lead on the submission of all bids and funding applications for the company and must have significant experience in this area. In conjunction with the Management team, the Business Manager will play a crucial role in developing WMNT’ s portfolio of services, creating a sustainable income strategy and positioning WMNT as a market leader within the third sector.
- Salary is circa £28,000 pa.
- Closing date: 5.00pm, Friday 20th December 2013
- Interviews: Friday 10th January 2014.
To request an application form and job description contact: Jenny Whinham, Tel 01642 856030 or email email@example.com. For an informal discussion, contact Sandra Philips on 01642 856030.
- 29/11/2013 Remember, Saturday 7th December is your opportunity to support small business entrepreneurs on ‘Small Business Saturday’. Shop small and shop local!
- 28/11/2013 Can you help Unltd find the country’s most ambitious social entrepreneurs?
Over the last year, the Big Venture Challenge team have been travelling the length of the country, talking to amazing people embedded in different regions and sectors. It is now just two weeks until the Big Venture Challenge opens its application window and once again Unltd needs your support and insight. They are looking for 30 ambitious social entrepreneurs, all looking to raise £50,000 – £250,000 in investment (debt or equity) to take their social venture to the next level and increase their social impact. They will work with the entrepreneurs for 12 months from May 2014, helping them to source investment, and supporting them as their venture grows.
Unltd is looking for:
- · Powerful individual/s leading the venture, supported by a committed team (we want the right person, backed up by the right people)
- · A disruptive model, challenging the status quo (we look for a clear and impactful proposition)
- · Growing market traction with evidence of social impact (we need to understand the performance to date)
- · And of course, a clear growth vision (we need to see the ambitious plan)
If you know entrepreneurs who fit this profile, they can register here when the application window opens on 9th December.
- 27/11/2013 Check out ‘Social Enterprise Acumen CIC’ on LinkedIn and Facebook for frequent updates on what we are up to and what we like in the world of social enterprise. ‘Followers’ and ‘likes’ are much appreciated!
- 15/11/2013 ‘Social Enterprise Start-up 1: Ideas Engine Workshop‘.
- So you want to start a social enterprise?
- Do you have a social or environmental objective and purpose?
- Do you want to change something? Are you already a social enterprise?
- What is the vision?
- What is the future of your enterprise?
Don’t worry! This workshop will look at ideas and define the principles that many new social enterprise principles should be built upon, and much more. Wed 20th November, 1pm- 4pm, Teesside University. This is part 1 of a four part series of workshops. We recommend budding entrepreneurs enrol on the complete ‘Social Enterprise Start Up’ series.
- 14/11/2013 Want to hear about how Teesside University is helping to deliver a socially enterprising society? Go along on Tues 26th November, Noon- 2pm, Phoenix Building, Middlesbrough Campus (lunch is provided). Keynote speaker is Michael Lavery, founding director of Just Visiting CIC. Students and graduates can also find out about the new round of funding available from Unltd. There is support available for up to twelve months to explore or develop social enterprise projects and businesses. To register a free place email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- 13/11/2013 The North East Local Enterprise Partnership (NELEP) is holding a consultation on it’s draft strategy for EU funding priorities 20140- 2020.Can we draw your attention to:
- ‘Objective 4’ (Page 23) which suggests activity to promote social inclusion
- ‘Objective 5‘ (Page 25) suggesting activity to develop social enterprises
- The concept of ‘Community- led Local Development’ (Page 34).
Consultation closes on 29th November. Click here to have your say.
- 11/11/2013 Check out Kate’s blogs on ‘Social Enterprise in Vietnam’. You can read about her recent visit and the social entrepreneurs and enterprises she encountered. Visit our blog page.
- 11/11/2013 ‘VONNE AGM and Conference’. If you want to contribute to the discussions on how the Local Enterprise Partnerships should allocate the EU Structural Funds then book your place here for this Thursday’s event.
- 30/10/2013 Kate has recently returned from Vietnam as we have been delivering a piece of work at Hanoi University on behalf of the British Council. Check out this video (in English) where she is being interviewed about her views and experiences of social enterprise: http://wp.me/P3o3bH-17
- 22/10/2013 Are you are a budding or existing social entrepreneur looking to expand your social enterprise? Unltd is a leading provider that offers a range of support and awards to individuals. Take a look here at the programmes available.
- 18/10/2013 Support Global Entrepreneurship Week in November by spreading the word! There are a number of events taking place across the North East. Carol supports Assist Women’s Network who are organising ‘The Age of Entrepreneurship’ on 20th November.
- 17/10/2013 Tees Valley Unlimited has opened consultation on the draft strategy for managing the European Structural Funds 2014- 2020. We worked with a wide range of organisations to develop the ‘Social Inclusion and Poverty’ theme. You can view the strategy and submit comments here.
- 01/10/2013 Our Chief Executive, Kate, is currently out in Calgary, Alberta, Canada attending the Social Enterprise World Forum. We hope to bring you some updates and stories about her experiences, and share any insights.
- 01/10/2013 ‘How To Mentor a Social Entrepreneur’. UnLtd is running this workshop for those of you new to mentoring or if you feel you need a ‘refresher’! The event is taking place Thursday 17th October, 12.30pm at Gateshead College. Booking details here.
- 27/09/2013 Good luck to Teesside University, shortlisted for ‘Entrepreneurial University of the Year 2013’. We are proud to have played a part in supporting the social enterprise element of the programme. Full story here.
- 25/09/13 ‘VONNE Conference & AGM: LEPs, European Funding and the VCS’. VONNE is hosting this event on 14th November in Newcastle. Anyone from the voluntary sector who wants to influence how €700 million earmarked to the North East should be spent is encouraged to attend. Booking details here.
- 16/09/2013 Progress continues with the NOMS Consortium as members sign up formally to the partnership agreements and a ‘Management Committee’ has been elected to drive the work forward. The emphasis is now on developing a Special Purpose Vehicle to identify and secure investment. Again, thanks go to Lydia’s House in Sunderland for hosting the recent meeting.
- 11/09/2013 ‘Talking Social Enterprise!’. UnLtd is holding a networking event for existing and budding social entrepreneurs in Newcastle on 17th October at Bar Luga, Grey Street. Booking details here:
- 06/08/2013 Social Inclusion Workshops: We have been commissioned by Tees Valley Unlimited to facilitate workshops to look at the themes of social inclusion and poverty. These are key themes of the next EU funding programme and we want to look at what the existing provision is and where the gaps are that European funding could meet. Representatives from the Voluntary and Community Sector are encouraged to attend both workshops.
Dates of workshops are: Wed 21st August and Tues 3rd September.
Booking details here:
- 02/08/2013 Calling all students and graduates of Teesside University….
Have you come across social problems that no-one seems to address? Do you have ideas for how these issues could be solved? Do you want to start something important during your summer holidays?
Then enter the Enactus Teesside Social Enterprise Summer Challenge!
Enactus Teesside are looking for fresh ideas for creating a better world using the positive power of business. We are really interested in ideas with social impact, especially solutions to local problems in the University’s back yard. We are looking for new projects to work on when we come back in September, so your idea could be put into practice as soon as October!
Summarise your idea in up to 250 words and include your name and course of study. Send your entries to email@example.com or submit via the Enactus Teesside Facebook page. As well as seeing the best ideas being put into practice the best 3 will receive a £50 Amazon voucher!
- 01/08/13 We are pleased to announce that we will be working in partnership with Teesside University to deliver a series of social enterprise workshops in the Autumn. We will be covering:
- Developing your idea and vision
- Looking at the marketplace and your competitors
- Investment and generating revenue
- Methods of governance and risk analysis
For all you budding social entrepreneurs, watch this space for more details!
- 23/07/13 Congratulations go to one of our clients, Mahe Gladdon, who has won a ‘Champions of Change Recognition Award’ from UnLtd. Mahe runs Jack in the Box, a social enterprise that supports children, young people and adults with disabilities or additional needs. We’ve been supporting Mahe and other budding social entrepreneurs as part of our ongoing work with Teesside University.
- 22/07/13 Calling all students and Graduates of Teesside University! Kate Welch is speaking at Teesside University Business Network on Thursday 25th July. Hear how developing a social enterprise business model can not only be a great career move, but you can also give something back to your community.Book online here!
- 15/07/13 The NOMS Consortium has held its recent partnership meeting. All working groups are progressing their actions towards making the Consortium a sustainable and viable grouping that can deliver public sector contracts. Meeting in Sunderland for a second time, the venue was Consortium member and social enterprise, Lydia’s House, based in the magnificent Eagle Building. Thanks to Catherine Trillo and her staff for hosting the session.
- 25/06/13 Consultancy Opportunity. As part of the NOMS CFO- funded Social Enterprise Consortia Building Programme, Social Enterprise Acumen is seeking to conduct one to one diagnostic interviews with every consortium member (approximately twenty organisations) to discuss their capacity building needs. This will contribute to identifying the capacity building needs and the development of the consortium’s training programme. In line with the project milestones, it is intended to commence these diagnostics from mid- July.
To progress this, we are seeking expressions of interest from individuals or organisations that have the skills, expertise and capacity to carry out some of the interviews.
Things you need to consider are:
- You have the time and capacity to contribute to the development of the initial diagnostic
- You have the time and capacity for diagnostic preparation, travel time, interview time, information recording
- You have the time and capacity to attend ad- hoc meetings to discuss findings/ review progress
- Experience in conducting diagnostics/ carrying out interviews
- Knowledge of questioning techniques
- Communication and listening skills
- Experience of information gathering and recording
To express an interest we require a short summary of experience in this area, including case studies/ work examples that highlight your expertise in this field. You should also include and hourly rate for your services and whether this includes expenses.
Expressions of interest should be returned to Martin Conway by Noon on 3rd July 2013.
- 13/06/13 We now have a new logo! We commissioned Aurora Creative to come up with a new logo to give us a clear identity. Working with Simon Robinson at Aurora, he sat and listened to our needs and how we wanted to present the business. We hope you agree with us that it’s a strong, bold design. Watch out for other changes to our website.
- 29/05/13 The NOMS Consortium held its recent partnership meeting in Sunderland. The working groups continue to meet in order to progress the milestones in the project plan. Thanks to Sainsbury’s for the use of their community room at the Castletown store.
- 01/05/13 We’ve met with representatives from National Offender Management Service in order to ‘walk through’ our Capacity Building Programme and it’ s all systems go! Thanks to Cestria Community Housing for the use of it’s facilities at Lambton Park.
[whohit]News and events[/whohit]